Friday, May 18, 2007

Cinematic Friday Question

ROUTE 1 readers have answered this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What was the best film you have seen in the past month?"
Bob H. -- The best was "Shirley Valentine," 1989, a bittersweet romantic comedy filmed in the United Kingdom and Greece. But there were three others that were also very good: "The Queen," 2006, a Royal view of Diana's death; "Ike:Count Down to D-day," 2004, a very different take on the invasion; and "Volver," 2006, a Spanish film by Pedro Almodóvar, with Penélope Cruz.
Jim S. -- I finally saw "The Whale Rider" on DVD this weekend. It was a great look at not only a struggling group of people in New Zealand, but at how the past and present can clash. I recommend people see it.
Inger H. -- "Hot Fuzz" was funny, entertaining and very inventive. There is a certain kind of movie that Brits make very well, and this was a perfect example. The fight scene in the model village? Classic! It looked like a Godzilla movie!
Ellen B. -- "A Night at the Museum" with Ben Stiller.
Roseanne H. -- "The Burmese Harp." I can't get it out of my head and am looking forward to seeing it again once it arrives from NetFlix.
Madelin F. -- The best film I watched in the last month was "Disturbia." It was billed as a modern-day "Rear Window." I thought it took a lot of guts for someone to make the comparison. Though there were obvious differences, I have to say "Disturbia" held its own. I thought it was clever how they modernized things by updating technology. The main character, confined to his home by an electronic ankle bracelet, is so typical of today's teens with his laptop, iPod, stereo, television and video games being just another everyday part of the landscape. What sells the movie are the suspenseful moments created by the fact that the kid can't leave his room/yard without serious consequences.
Mike M. -- I recently watched Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" for the first time. This German silent film from 1927 features a female robot which later inspired the design for C-3PO of "Star Wars." My favorite scene is when the hero is symbolically crucified on the hands of a large clock.
Mike D. -- You're assuming I've seen a movie in the past month. I think I've only seen one movie at the theater in the past six months, and that would be "Happy Feet." I didn't really like it, so I guess my answer would be NONE. The best films I've seen in recent YEARS were "Cold Mountain" and "War of the Worlds."
Erik H. -- Kon Ichikawa's "Biruma no Tategoto (The Burmese Harp)" is a war film like no other war film I had ever seen. This 1956 film takes a look at World War II from the Japanese perspective. It also considers the power of music in our lives and the need to perform humane service that goes beyond our duties. It is a powerful, beautiful film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home