Friday, April 13, 2007

Sit back and RELAX, thanks to the FQ

The ROUTE 1 staff were traveling back to home base after an Easter break in the Des Moines area. I put GRANT GREEN'S 1961 album "GRANTSTAND" on the CD player, and within moments , ROUTE 1 work-study apprentice Annika (age 8) was deep in a sound sleep. That insomnia-smashing episode prompted this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What did you hear this week that helped you relax?"
Scout S. -- Explosions In The Sky, "All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone."
Rick T. -- My XM radio, especially the comedy channel. Makes me laugh.
Mike M. -- Johann Sebastian Bach's Ciaccona, Partita No. 2 in D Major, BWV 1004, from the album "Hilary Hahn Plays Bach."
Laura C. -- Cesaria Evora. It's impossible to listen to her sing without moving your hips and feeling all the tension leave your body.
Mike D. -- While driving home from grocery shopping on Sunday afternoon, I
flipped the radio dial and stopped when I heard Big Band music. It was a Tommy Dorsey tune with a some soothing clarinet weaving throughout. It brought back fond memories of my father, who grew up with the music of that era.
Clint A. -- "Salsa Explosion: The Sound of Fania Records" was my soundtrack as I drove down Highway 1 from Monterey to Big Sur and to Pfiffer Beach.
Tom J. -- "I Feel," by The Sundays.
Erik H. -- "Slow High," from Dr. Lonnie Smith's 1969 soul-jazz album "Turning Point" is one of those songs that I could hear over and over again. Here is how Detroit disc jockey Ed Love described the song in the original liner notes:
"The Smith original 'Slow High' will prove to be the favorite track on the LP for many listeners. It's a medium tempo blues that a lot of swingers I know can really unwind and do their own thing to while listening or dancing."
Or sleeping in the backseat on a long drive back home, perhaps?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home