Sunday, April 15, 2007

Finally exposing my lifelong love affair with Julie London

I am creating one of those Sunday iPod playlists for one of those mornings after a night on the town.
I just heard "Cry Me a River," and it made me think about Julie London: I've had a thing for her since I was a kid!

Julie London (1926-2000) was born Gayle Peck in Santa Rosa, Calif. -- one of my old stomping grounds. I lived in Sebastopol and spent many hours in Santa Rosa, the county seat for Sonoma County. It's one of my favorite cities!
"Cry Me a River" soared to No. 2 on the pop charts in 1955, but that's not what sparked my childhood interest in Julie London.
Nope.
She played Dixie McCall on TV's "Emergency!" from 1972-79.
*THAT'S* what sparked my childhood interest in Julie London!
"Emergency!" was one of those shows that I always seemed to watch when I was a kid. Los Angeles County Fire Department paramedics John Gage and Roy DeSoto seemed so cool, rescuing kids from rooftops and things like that. They always took patients to the same hospital -- Rampart General -- where Dr. Kelly Brackett and Dr. Joe Early were always ordering people around.
Ahh... and I can't forget Dixie McCall.
I don't think I was capable of fully articulating my feelings at the time, but DIXIE McCALL WAS KIND OF HOT.
She was older than my dad, but JULIE LONDON WAS A HOT, MIDDLE-AGED CHICK!
Now, of course, I am more familiar with the Julie London of the 1950s. "Hot" doesn't even do justice to vintage Julie London. They haven't even invented a word to describe Julie London from the 1950s and...
...why, I... I... I...
I just took another look at that 1950s' album cover and now I can't really remember where I was going with this blog post.
I think I'll just quit writing and listen to "Cry Me a River" again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home