Monday, February 05, 2007

Swingin' in the C-C-C-C-O-L-D

Days off are wonderful, and so is the 1946 version of "Sweet Lorraine" by the Metronome All Stars.
I ran an errand this morning but didn't mind, even though the National Weather Service says "DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE EVENING."
The temperature was minus-7 when I started the car and set off, but a ABSOLUTELY SWINGIN' FRANK SINATRA TUNE kept me smiling, even as my old car bitched me out.
"Sweet Lorraine" proves that HISTORY'S GREATEST VOCALIST could handle JAZZ with the same ease he handled other songs.
Sinatra sang a chorus-and-a-half and the other All Stars soloed for four bars or more.

Consider the line-up on this stunning track:
Charlie Shavers -- trumpet.
Lawrence Brown -- trombone.
Johnny Hodges -- alto sax.
Coleman Hawkins -- tenor sax.
Harry Carney -- baritone sax.
Nat King Cole -- piano (he popularized "Sweet Lorraine," and is the master, of course).
Bob Ahern -- guitar.
Eddie Safranski -- bass.
Buddy Rich -- drums.
As I drove, the FROZEN people in their nearby cars were probably wondering why I couldn't stop smiling. I had a song to keep me warm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home