Saturday, February 03, 2007

A little skin, a lot of jazz

Perhaps I have been terribly wrong, but I have often associated Playboy magazine with jazz and Scotch.
I guess you can chalk one up for Hugh Hefner and his marketing genius, selling mild titillation as sophistication.

I think it must be the festivals and polls that made me associate the men's magazine with jazz.
As for the Scotch, well, it seems to go well with jazz.
I sipped Scotch, listened to loads of jazz and thought about the early days of Playboy magazine today.
Hef still lived in Chicago back then, soon-to-be-famous authors were penning short stories and Leonard Feather's landmark "The Encyclopedia of Jazz" featured in a photo of Gloria Walker, Miss June 1956 (pictured above, with chess pieces).
The 1950s' era Playboy seems so tame today, when the average prime-time drama shows about as much skin as a centerfold did back then. Still, it must have seemed searingly cutting edge at the time. Like jazz, I guess you could say.
Oddly enough, when I subscribed to Playboy I never really thought about jazz and never touched Scotch. That was back in college. My subscription was a gift from my mom (no lie) and, to prove the GEEK in me is never far from the surface, I really did read the articles.
Most of the time.