Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Bollywood Blizzard

This morning's National Weather Service forecast told me all I needed to know about the day ahead.
A WINTER STORM WATCH had given way to a BLIZZARD WARNING.
That meant I would have an additional story to write, on top of covering a diabetes center open house.
I had to work on a weather story, as freezing rain, sleet and eventually THUNDER SNOW (intense snow squalls punctuated by thunder and lightning) moved into the area.
Well, I thought, I am going to be busy. I might as well try to enjoy myself.
A compilation CD of BOLLYWOOD film hits of the 1960s and 70s provided an enjoyable soundtrack to a day memorable for its dreadful weather.
I chose Bollywood music for today because it seemed the exact opposite of the weather conditions. It was bright, sunny and warm.
Kishore Kumar's "C.A.T. ... Cat Mane Billi," from 1958 had me singing along -- as best as I could, considering it was sung in Hindi.
Lata Mangeshkar's "Mere Ghar Aayi Ek" (1976) had me smiling, as did her sister Asha Bhosle's "Yeh Mera Dil Yaarka Diwane" (1978).
The winds continue to howl, the snow (mixed with sleet) continues to fall and we've even seen a couple lightning strikes during the past half hour.
I don't care, though. I've got my Bollywood to keep me warm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home