Thursday, February 15, 2007

In honor of my dad...

... I'm listening to a little Herbie Mann.
My dad GEORGE HOGSTROM would have been 80 years old today. Before he passed away in 1992, my dad shared with me his love of reading, the SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS and jazz -- although, it took me some time before I realized I also loved that third passion.
Jazz...
I remember my dad loved a variety of jazz artists, but in particular he worshiped Stan Kenton, Oscar Peterson and Herbie Mann.
I honored my dad by listening to Mann's 1957 album "Yardbird Suite" on my iPod today.
Mann was a true wonder on the flute -- a relatively rare instrument in jazz. His improvisations really seem to sing. On "Yardbird Suite," he teams with Phil Woods on alto sax, Joe Puma on guitar and Eddie Costa on vibes. The whole album has that peppy, "tinkling" sound that I have always associated with the COOLEST 1950s jazz.
It sounds like the type of music that would belong in a swingin' bachelor pad.
It's an inherently happy sound, even on a sad day like today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home