Saturday, February 10, 2007

Spinners taking me through a tough Saturday

I don't mean to complain, but while the rest of you are enjoying your Saturday, I will be writing a pair of stories at the newspaper.
A bit of "spot news" this week put me behind in my regular work, so in addition to covering an auto show today, I have to finish a story about increased numbers of cases of influenza.
There! That's the last time I will complain about it.
Why?
Because I am groovin' today to what might be the greatest SOUL group of the 1970s.
The Spinners struggled on Motown for years before breaking free and joining forces with Jamaican-born Thom Bell, one of the leading lights of "Philly Soul."
After producing the Delfonics and the Stylistics, Bell turned his attention to The Spinners, led by vocalist Phillippe Wynne.
What followed is a collection of the best-arranged pop-soul songs in history, in my opinion.
Horn riffs mirror string riffs on "I'll Be Around," Wynne doles out words in intricate measures in "One of a Kind (Love Affair)" and Bell reduces the music to piano and subtle drum tapping on most of the wonderful "Sadie."
I listen to these songs today and I am able to mouth the words almost perfectly, even though I haven't heard some of them for years. That might be because they were on 1970s Top 40 radio (KFRC SAN FRANCISCO!) ALL THE TIME back when I was a kid -- or it might be because they are simply perfect pop creations.
I tend to believe the latter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home