Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It must be me

I listened to England v. Australia in cricket last night, thanks to an Internet site. I also followed day five of the Adelaide Test match live on the Guardian newspaper's Over by Over text commentary. I even submitted my own comments. Check this link here, and scroll down for over 58.
I went to bed at the tea break (Australian time, that is) with England all out after a paltry second innings total 129 (after reaching 551 in their first innings).
England couldn't win the match, but in all likelihood they could draw the match, as Australia had to score 168 runs from about 36 overs (an "over" is six balls bowled in succession).
So, this morning I wake up to learn Australia scored 168 runs from just under 33 overs.
England crash to a spectacular defeat, and I am left to ask myself: "Is it me?"
Whenever I watch or listen to one of my favorite teams, they invariably lose.
I have seen the SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS play in person dozens of times, but I can count the times I have actually seen them win on one-and-a-half hands.
I have watched the OREGON DUCKS college football live and on television in countless games and they always seem to lose in the "BIG game" (for reference, see the 1995 Rose Bowl game result versus Penn State).
Don't even ask about SHEFFIELD effing WEDNESDAY, currently under-performing in English football's second tier.
The exception to the rule, the SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS won a handful of Super Bowls with me watching intently. Of course, karma has since swung in the other direction for the Red and Gold.
So, either I am a perpetual jinx to my favorite teams, or I need to choose some different teams. Lyon have won FIVE FRENCH FOOTBALL TITLES IN A ROW? Hmmm... Je les aime!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home