Sunday, November 26, 2006

Clash of the titans

I watched today's Premiership clash between first-place Manchester United and second-place Chelsea live on Fox Soccer Channel.
The match featured a great ebb-and-flow rhythm, with Manchester United scoring first through a 29th-minute Louis Saha strike the just edged past Chelsea goalkeeper Carlo Cudinici's left hand.
Chelsea struck back in the 69th minute: Ricardo Carvalho heading in from a Frank Lampard corner.
It finished 1-1 then, a fair-enough result, I suppose.

Now I am enjoying some great toasting from the classic Jamaican superstar deejay I-Roy.
Born Roy Reid, I-Roy came out of Spanish Town and road some great rhythms with a strident baritone that must have dramatically BOOOOOMED out of the sound systems.
His style surely forecasts the rap revolution that would explode out of Brooklyn and the Bronx -- both boroughs heavily populated with Jamaican immigrants -- in the late 1970s.
I-Roy beat those crews by about 5 years at least.
U-Roy, Dennis Alcapone and Big Youth were major stars, but by about 1974-75, I-Roy was the RULER, and as he said himself in the liner notes to the awesome CD collection "Don't Check Me With No Lightweight Stuff:"
"In a my days, when me young, an' out there, an' spurt an' sprint, no guy couldn't kick weh my foot."
Oh yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home