Thursday, November 30, 2006

Baby, it's cold outside -- But I have CRICKET to keep me warm!

Well, it's 17 degrees here in Dubuque this morning. I suppose that means winter has finally arrived.
I'm warm, though. I'm sipping coffee and watching some of HISTORY'S GREATEST CRICKETING MOMENTS on YouTube.
Click on this link here, to see a five-minute recap of one of the greatest performances in the sport's history.
Antiguan CURTLY AMBROSE of the West Indies took 405 wickets in 98 Test matches -- that makes him a Nolan Ryan or Roger Clemens figure in cricket.
On YouTube, you can watch parts of one match against the usually invincible Aussies as Ambrose takes 7 wickets for only 1 run. Ambrose bowls and the batsmen hit it directly to a fielder. When you see the size of the cricket pitch at Perth's WACA (Western Australia Cricket Association) ground, you will understand the difficulty of the 7 for 1 feat.
Lately I have been reading "People Funny Boy," the Lee "Scratch" Perry biography by David Katz, listening to loads of reggae and now immersing myself in the great moments of West Indies cricket.
Does that mean I am in denial of winter already? It's just started!