Saturday, December 02, 2006

Stuck in my head

I worked today, driving to a local ski area to interview skiers and snowboarders on the inaugural day of the season.
The massive snowstorm that blanketed some parts of the Midwest with as much as 18 inches of snow missed us, but the local ski area was able to open thanks to man made snow.
I listened to the "Trojan UK HITS Box Set" as I drove the 49 miles to and from the ski area.
The box-set tracks -- mostly pop-oriented reggae from the late 1960s and early 1970s -- represent some of the catchiest tunes in history.
They must be among the catchiest: I was singing along to them continually and they're all still stuck in my head.
The set includes works by Jimmy Cliff, Desmond Dekker, Toots & the Maytals, Roland Alphonso (the riveting opener, "Guns of Navarone"), the Pioneers and more.
The wonderful songs on this set would serve as an effective primer for the reggae neophyte (a person, for example, who has only heard Bob Marley). For a reggae obsessive such as myself, these songs serve as a reminder why I love this music so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home