Friday, December 08, 2006

Have yourself a merry FRIDAY QUESTION

Annika H. is in the holiday spirit.
The young ROUTE 1 intern posed this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is your favorite Christmas song?"
Ellen B. -- I actually have two classics that I love: "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Frosty the Snowman."
Mike D. --
My favorite Christmas songs are "O Holy Night" (religious) and "Christmas is the Time to Say 'I Love You,'" by Billy Squier (secular).
Scout S. -- At the risk of spoiling it by sharing with too many people, I draw
attention to "It's A Marshmallow World," a jazzy, wintry tune recorded by many artists, including the Oscar Peterson Trio and Darlene Love (on the Phil Spector christmas album). But my favorite version has to be the live version by Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, where you can practically hear ice cubes clinking in highball glasses as Deano slurs his way through lines like "The sun is red like a pumpkin head." Gets me in a festive mood like nobody's business, regardless of whether or not it's December. Runner up: "Just Like Christmas" by Low.
Dave B. -- "Gabriel's Message" by Sting.
Kerstin H. -- "Do They Know It's Christmas."
Rick T. -- Bing Crosby's "White Christmas." Also, Little Bobby Helms' "Jingle Bell Rock." Bing's song makes you think of Christmas when you were young. Bobby's song gets you into the spirit. It just makes you feel good.
Diane H. -- Probably "I'll Be Home for Christmas," which strikes a good balance of nostalgia, melancholy and anticipation.
Tom J. -- "Silent Night."
Roseanne H. -- I like all Christmas music... except for one. "I Saw Grandmother Run Over By a Reindeer."
Mike M. -- Schubert's "Ave Maria." Shout out to all da Mormon-Tabernacle-Choir freaks in da house, yo!
Brian C. -- "I'll Be Home for Christmas." I don't know why; I haven't been "away" for long periods, or away from "home" at Christmas. I just like the sentiment, I guess.
Bob H. -- Oh, there are sooo many! The first that comes to mind is "The Christmas Song" by Johnny Mathis. But then there's Barbra's "Ave Maria," that makes the hairs on my arms stand up and tingle. Peter, Paul & Mary's album "A Holiday Celebration" has a number of my favorites, especially "I Wonder as I Wander," "A Soalin'" and "We Wish You a Merry Christmas." "We want some figgy pudding and a cup of good cheer."
Rob K. -- "Do You Know What I Know," "Fum, Fum, Fum" and "Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer." Why? I don't know.
Erik H. -- I think my favorite times at Christmas are when my entire family can get together. The fun of all of the people mixing at the holidays seems embodied in the Slade song "Merry Xmas Everybody." That song never loses its charm.
Annika H. -- "We Wish You a Merry Christmas."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home