Thursday, December 07, 2006

Snowbirds, Please take me with you!!!

For once, the realization did not hit me like a blast of cold air in the face.
Instead, the realization came while cold air actually blasted me in the face this morning.
It's 8 degrees, windy, bitterly cold, and I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL IN PHOENIX, ARIZONA.
What am I doing here in COLDER-THAN-ICE IOWA?!?!
Arizona!
Palm trees and cacti, little lizards scurrying about near the pool and -- more pertinent to today's realization -- temperatures dipping into the 60s during the "DEAD OF WINTER!"
Stepping out into today's chill, I suddenly realized why all those "Snowbirds" keep descending on the Valley of the Sun.
WARMTH!
This morning, my car finally warmed up as I pulled into the parking lot at work. As I drove, white puffs of breath filled the car and I remembered how we used to mock the Snowbirds -- those Midwesterners who arrived from the north with their strange driving habits.
Disc Jockey Jonathon Brandmeier, then of KZZP Radio in Phoenix, even put together a song mocking the Snowbirds, and I kept the 45 to remind myself of their sometimes confused antics.
I joined in the mocking: "Goofy Snowbirds, go back to Iowa/Illinois/Wisconsin/(fill in Midwestern locale here) and learn to drive!"
Now, as I shiver and cuss the cold, I want to BECOME A SNOWBIRD. Take me with you! I'll even help drive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home