Thursday, June 08, 2006

M.T.Y.L.T.T. revisited

Back in September, I wrote about the Dream Kings and their 1957 single "M.T.Y.L.T.T."
I fear that this great song will fade into obscurity. Internet searches provide almost no information on the song, the group or their lead tenor, Tom Daniel II (indeed, yesterday the first result from a Google search was a link to Route 1).
Then I received a message from Tom Daniel III, the son of the Dream Kings' leader.
"My father wrote "M.T.Y.L.T.T." and sang lead," the younger Daniel wrote. "He is one of two surviving members of both the Dream Kings and Drakes."
The message contained an invitation to call and possibly set up an interview. It is a call I intend to make today.
The interview will have to wait until after we return from a West Coast vacation. If the interview results in renewed interest in "M.T.Y.L.T.T." -- one of the greatest songs too few people have ever heard -- then the wait will be so worth it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rapture said...

Would still love to talk with you. My father died this passed January and I now own his masters. Please contact me when you can.
Tom Daniel III
Re: The Dream Kings

6:46 PM  
Blogger Rapture said...

(219) 810-3085
Tom Daniel III
Dream Kings

6:47 PM  
Blogger JIM CHURILLA said...

GROWING UP IN EAST CHICAGO, IN. AND
PLAYING OUR FAVORITE 45 RPM RECORD
M.T.Y.L.T.T. (MORE THAN YASTERDAY LESS THAND TOMMOROW, THATS HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU).MADE CUPID FAMOUS.
IT TRULY WAS A LOVE SONG AND AS YOUNG AS WE WERE WE KNEW WHAT FALLING IN LOVE WAS.SO IF I MUST SAY I REMEMBER 1957 AND HANGING OUT WITH THE "DREAM KINGS" AND HEARING THEM ON LIVIN WITH VIVIAN AND HERB KENT "THE COOL GENT". SO
TOM,BE PROUD WE ALL LOVED YOUR DAD AND "THE DREAM KINGS"

3:33 PM  
Blogger JIM CHURILLA said...

PLEASE FORGIVE MY SPELLING. ITS
MORE THAN YESTERDAY LESS THAN TOMORROW.AND LETS NOT FORGET THE FLIP SIDE "OH WHAT A BABY"

3:42 PM  
Blogger RAPTURE said...

Jim...please give me a call asap. I'm trying to gather those 45's.
Tom Daniel III
(219) 810-3085

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home