Thursday, June 01, 2006

Wes Anderson on the DVD player

This week, my nightly relaxation has come in the form of Wes Anderson films on DVD.
"Rushmore" is probably my favorite. I have watched it repeatedly -- even with the audio commentary playing. I am obviously a committed fan.
"Bottle Rocket" is also a fabulous film. It reminds me of its Nouvelle Vague, misfit-crime caper antecedents, including "Bande à Part" and "Tirez Sur Le Pianiste." It also reminds me of other notable filmmaking debuts, including Godard's "À Bout de Souffle" and "Reservoir Dogs," because in all three instances the viewer gains a real sense that the filmmaker is rapturous with a love of cinema. It shows on the screen.
Tonight I watched "The Royal Tenenbaums." This 2001 Anderson feature continues the filmmaker's attraction to glorious failure, picture-perfect soundtrack choices and that mixture of comedy and drama that -- I think -- best mirrors "real life."
Next week I might go back to watching Japanese yakuza movies, the Nouvelle Vague classics I have cherished since college, or even an old standby like "Animal House."
This week, however, I have been devoting all movie-watching to Wes Anderson. I think I made a good choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home