Thursday, May 25, 2006

We go back a long way

I am watching "Les Quatre Cents Coups (The 400 Blows)" tonight on DVD and remembering a little milestone in my life.
I was in college and my work-study assignment required me to produce posters promoting the first night of the Mount Mercy film series.
The first night featured Francois Truffaut's debut, and I crafted a poster featuring a large photo of Jean-Pierre Leaud as protagonist Antoine Doinel.
I plastered the posters all over campus, and it marked the first time I used my creativity to inform the public.
I now write for a daily newspaper, so I suppose you could say that poster is where it all started.
I was eagerly anticipating the film. I am one of those people who always wishes he had majored in film studies (at USC or UCLA... somewhere warm but not humid!).
The film certainly did not disappoint.
"Les Quatre Cents Coups" served as my introduction to the Nouvelle Vague and I was amazed that life could be portrayed so realistically.
Tonight I am watching the film for the first time since those college days. It has lost none of its magnificence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home