Saturday, May 20, 2006

I'm Telling You Now

The pop stars of old are reaching that age. That age when they might not be with us much longer.
One such pop star of old, Freddie Garrity, passed away yesterday age 69.
Garrity led Freddie and the Dreamers, who hit big in 1963 with "I'm Telling You Now."
With his black-framed glasses, Freddie echoed the geeky rock look first pioneered by Buddy Holly. Others have used the look to set themselves apart from the crowd, notably Morrissey and even James Dean Bradfield of the Manic Street Preachers.
"I'm Telling You Now" is a great song, and it makes me feel old myself to think that the singer has gone.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

I'm old enough to remember the "Freddie" phenomenon. It was over nearly as soon as it started. I wondered about Route 61's reference to Freddie being 69, meaning he would have been about 29 -- ancient by British Invasion standards -- at the height of his band's popularity. Unless Freddie fibbed about his age, several web sites say he was born November 14, 1940 -- making him 65 at his passing.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home