Thursday, May 11, 2006

I was just there!

I am watching the Alfred Hitchcock masterpiece "Vertigo" tonight and I was just struck by the most powerful feeling of deja vu.
Scottie (Jimmy Stewart) has just followed Madeleine/Carlotta/Judy (Kim Novak) through the Presidio and out to Fort Point.
My sister Inger and I walked from Crissy Field to Fort Point recently. Approaching the fort, (middle aged) surfers were plying the waves that broke in the bay to our right. I glanced at them, then glanced up at the hillside to our left, where small rivulets of rainwater attracted my attention.
Well, one of Hitchcock's shots of Scottie in his car features THAT HILLSIDE.
I was thunderstruck!
I remember walking up to Fort Point and a group of Junipero Serra High School (of San Mateo!) students (one kid wore a SWEEEET blue hoodie with "Serra Padres" emblazoned in gold) and turning once again to face THAT HILLSIDE.
It was the EXACT view that Hitchcock's camera had in "Vertigo" just now. Whoah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home