Wednesday, May 10, 2006

More stone-cold classics from the Bay

A foggy morning reminded me of the Bay Area today.
One of the CDs I purchased in San Francisco is packed with Bay Area goodness.
Any compilation of 1960s' R&B that opens with Rodger Collins' "She's Looking Good" earns four stars in my book, regardless of the remainder of the tracks.
"Moaning, Groaning, Crying: A Galaxy of Soul and R&B" is packed with enough stone-cold classics in addition to "She's Looking Good" to earn my coveted SIX-star ranking.
Songs such as "Daddy Rollin' Stone" by Ozz & The Sperlings, "Love's Philosophy" by the Casanova II and "You're a Winner" by Harold Andrews should have been well-known throughout the land. A variety of circumstances, though, consigned these singles to regional airplay in the Bay Area alone.
That's a shame.
This import CD from Ace Records' Kent imprint reminds me of the richness of the Bay Area's musical heritage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home