Monday, March 13, 2006

Don't know what a slide rule is for

I have been listening to Sam Cooke today and marveling at the greatness of his songwriting.
Sure he had a great voice, but what really sets Cooke apart for me as perhaps the greatest of the R&B stars were his compositional abilities.
Take "Cupid," for example:
"Now, I don't mean to bother you, but I'm in distress
There's danger of me losin' all of my happiness
For I love a girl that doesn't know I exist
And this you can fix, so
Cupid, draw back your bow
And let your arrow go."
"Wonderful World" is another well-written song:
"Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the French I took."
I listened to Sam Cooke in between assignments today and simply contemplated his compositions. Even without opening his mouth, Cooke created an R&B legacy few will ever match.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home