Thursday, January 19, 2006

Yeah the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone

Once in a while I stumble upon a song and wonder how I could have missed it when it debuted.
I discovered one such song last night -- "Khe Sanh" by Cold Chisel.
Now, if any Australians are reading this post, they can go ahead and navigate toward another Web site. Australians know "Khe Sanh" like Americans know "Born in the USA." The song has iconic status down under, where the ode to a Vietnam veteran's struggles to cope upon his return to the homefront remains a staple of classic rock.
Americans tend to forget, but Australia provided troops to the Vietnam conflict, too.
Cold Chisel's 1978 single tells of a veteran trying to find a place to settle, "where my mixed up life could mend."
The narrator fails to hold down many jobs and even unsuccessfully seeks answers during return trips to Southeast Asia.
Cold Chisel's song received a radio ban at the time of its debut, with the government citing "lyrical content" for its decision. Despite the ban, the song sold enough to reach No. 43 on the national charts and No. 4 in Cold Chisel's native Adelaide. The song is a masterpiece and I cannot believe I never heard it until last night, when I found it on an mp3 blog.
I immediately uploaded it onto the iPod and slotted it into my Australian playlist. So, a few songs after Slim Dusty's "Waltzing Matilda," I can listen to "Khe Sanh," one of the most powerful tunes to emerge from the Lucky Country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home