Saturday, January 14, 2006

Ow! My aching _________!

Fill in any muscle group -- I am sore all over.
We closed on our new house late yesterday and began the arduous process of moving today. I made numerous trips down the street (it is about a dozen blocks away), my car laden with totes while my father-in-law's truck held massive furniture pieces.
We worked until we could barely stand... and today is only day one!
We actually have a week or so to move, but we wanted to make a significant dent in the workload on day one.
Mission -- ouch! -- accomplished.
Now I am relaxing while listening to a song that debuted in the UK 25 years ago today, "Vienna" by Ultravox.
I always loved this song, even if it was just about the most pompous thing on San Francisco's alternative radio stations at the time.
Here is what singer Midge Ure said of the track in an issue of NME from 1981:
"We wanted to take the song and make it incredibly pompous in the middle, leaving it very sparse before and after it, but finishing with a typically over-the-top classical ending. The whole thing was a bit tongue in cheek."
Whew! Thank heavens for that! I thought they were serious!

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

Congratulations on the closing on your first house. The aches and soreness are indeed a rite of passage for a new homeowner -- and somehow that feeling is different when one knows it is one's own home instead of another rental property. Home ownership will bring other aches and pains in the future -- but it will be worth it. Congrats!

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home