Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I am film nerd, hear me roar

A chilling, frightening question swept through my mind as I toiled on a pair of stories at the newspaper today: What the hell am I doing with my life?!?!
Whoah... wait...
Yes, that frightening question did sweep through my mind, but I actually meant *ANOTHER* frightening (and far less common) question that swept through my mind:
Have I become the dreaded FILM NERD?!?!
I have no problem admitting that I am a music geek. My becoming a film nerd is a wholly other manifestation of my eccentric ways.
Film nerds complain when brainless marketing men decide to colorize black-and-white classics. Film nerds recite lines from obscure films of 20 years ago. Film nerds watch their favorite movies with the audio commentary of a cinema history switched "on."
That's me!!!
As I sat at my desk typing away (and day-dreaming about holding a far more glamorous job than newspaper reporter, say, street sweeper), I actually thought how nice it would be to settle down to "Tirez Sur Le Pianiste" (film nerds also refer to foreign-language movies by their original, foreign-language titles) while listening to film critics discuss its greatness.
Film nerd. Film nerd. Film nerd.
If they sold "Shichinin no Samurai" action figures, I would collect them.
If they made a "Repo Man" game complete with glowing car trunk, I would play it.
If they colorized "A Bout de Souffle," I would kill them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home