Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Can you tell me where my country lies?

I am one of those insufferably snooty Genesis fans who began to lose interest after Peter Gabriel left and the band's commercial fortunes soared. I like "Follow You Follow Me," but that hit single merely provides the proverbial exception that proves the rule. My personal Genesis high-water mark comes in the form of the 1973 album "Selling England by the Pound," which played on my iPod as I drove to various assignments and errands today. There are so many highlights on this album, including Steve Hackett's brilliant guitar solo on "Firth of Fifth," Tony Banks' sublime acoustic piano work in the same song, the beauty of "The Cinema Show" -- with fantastic drumming by Phil Collins -- and of course the catchiness of "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)." People only familiar with the Collins-led Genesis of "Abacab" would probably steer clear of early songs such as "The Battle of Epping Forest" and "After the Ordeal." I think that's a real pity. With "Selling England by the Pound," Genesis were among the most talented, most daring risk takers in rock. Add Gabriel's emotional singing to the mix (although most of the time I haven't the faintest idea what he is on about) and you have a stellar musical monument.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home