Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Let's celebrate weirdness!

I don't know... the world just keeps getting weirder and weirder.
Yesterday I was shocked and saddened when England coach Sven-Göran Eriksson announced he would step down after the World Cup. English preparations have been tainted with controversy now. The goal of winning their first World Cup since the year I was born now seems a pipe dream.
Then I watched live CBC coverage of the Canadian election, courtesy of C-SPAN. I found it slightly surreal, hearing about strange-sounding ridings such as Etobicoke, Nepean and Wascana (and those were just the English language ridings). Coverage lapsed into the truly weird as Paul Martin gave his concession speech. He alternated between French and English, which is admirable, since he was addressing a bilingual country. What was weird about it was that the CBC employed *THE WORLD'S WORST* translator to relay the French portion of the speech.
"I... would like... to... thank... the... con... constituents..."
By the time the CBC translator had completed one of Martin's French sentences, the Liberal leader had spoken a pair of English sentences!
Was the translator surprised Martin would speak in French? That was just plain weird.
Today, I have decided not to fight the weirdness around me, but to celebrate it.
That's why I am listening to The Cramps all day.
Their mix of rockabilly and voodoo became one of the weirdest signature sounds in rock history, a perfect soundtrack to my weird times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home