Saturday, January 28, 2006

Give me that old time rock-n-roll

I mean the REAL OLD Rock-n-Roll.
We cleaned our old apartment today, one of the last steps in our move down the street.
I scrubbed the bathroom -- but good -- while listening to some classic rockabilly tunes from the 1950s.
The rush of adrenalin provided by the white-hot rockin' worked just perfectly as I scrubbed away.
I absolutely enjoy the earliest rock-n-roll recordings: You can hear the joy of discovery mixed with the anarchic breaking of all of the previously established music rules.
These songs weren't really country, they weren't really R&B... they were a combination of both styles.
Mack Self... Warren Smith... Vern Pullens... Ric Cartey...
You rarely hear about these folks anymore, yet they were musical trailblazers of the highest order.
Shame on the so-called "oldies" radio stations for not putting these songs in regular rotation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home