Sunday, April 17, 2005

You scream and everybody comes -- a running


Were The Sweet a great band? Er... no.
Were The Sweet a good band who produced a clutch of great songs? Shi-yeah-yeah!
Unfortunately, The Sweet have been ruined for many Americans because "Little Willy" and "The Ballroom Blitz" inevitably show up at every wedding reception. Like it's some law or something.
That's really too bad.
A routine dish-washing episode turned into me dancing with abandon around the kitchen this morning -- to some of the catchiest tunes ever committed to vinyl -- courtesy of Brian Connolly, Mick Tucker, Andy Scott and Steve Priest, plus early songwriting svengalis Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman. Thanks lads.
"Blockbuster" opens with a siren and just gets more raucous from there.
"Teenage Rampage" is the greatest song for teenagers ever written by people more than twice their age.
"Action" is a song so ABSOLUTELY ROCKING that Def Leppard felt compelled to cover it.
Then there is "Fox on the Run." The Sweet's crowning glory.
I was in fifth or sixth grade in Concord, Calif. when "Fox on the Run" left its indelible mark on my psyche. The songs starts all warbly, then: "I-I-I don't wanna know your name..." The pounding drums and propulsive riffs push the song along like a strong wind at your back. Then comes that killer chorus.
It's the aural equivalent of the best chocolate bar you have ever had.
We actually had foxes back in those days. Feathered hair... denim with flowery designs... long lashes...
Oh course, they were all RIDICULOUSLY out of my league. But at least I could sing along to the song.
The memories came flooding back as I danced around the kitchen this morning. Thanks lads.
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home