Thursday, April 14, 2005

Spring inna Babylon


My recent obsession in reggae and the Dubuque area's (relatively) warmer weather converged this week in the form of "It's a Jam in the Streets: Spring inna Babylon," a CD mix I made.
I posted the mix on the Art of the Mix Web site last night and thus far the comments have been encouraging.
I am fascinated by Junior Murvin's song "Police and Thieves." The beautiful song -- later covered by The Clash -- served as the de facto soundtrack to the Notting Hill Carnival riot of 1976.
For my warm weather mix, I wanted to begin with some archetypal reggae party songs. Stuff like Tony Tribe's "Red Red Wine" (significantly better than UB40s cover), Althea and Donna's "Up Town Top Ranking," Toots and the Maytals' "Sweet and Dandy" and Michigan and Smiley's "Nice Up the Dance."
About midway through the mix, however, the mood of the songs turns increasingly grim, with Johnny Clarke's "None Shall Escape the Judgement" and Max Romeo's "War inna Babylon."
Lee "Scratch" Perry's "City Too Hot" follows the aforementioned "Police and Thieves."
My love of happy endings influences the conclusion of the mix, with Dr. Alimantado's "Born for a Purpose/Reason for Living" and Jimmy Cliff's "Wonderful World Beautiful People" finishing the jam in high style.
Perfect for those warm days ahead!
Which reminds me of a good Friday Question...
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home