Friday, April 15, 2005

Wouldn't it be nice? Of course it would!


The only problem with this song is that it doesn't go on forever.
In fact, at about 2:22 or so "Wouldn't it be Nice" by the Beach Boys seems criminally short. Still, when I hear it, I always seem to feel the sun warming my face. The opening track on "Pet Sounds" -- and one of THE SONGS of the summer the year I was born (1966) -- is my answer to the Friday Question. It is one of my favorite songs I have always associated with warm weather. I could listen to Brian Wilson's mini-masterpiece endlessly.
A close second would be "Terraplane Blues" by Robert Johnson. The sweat seems to drip from this song -- provisionally about a car but really about sexual and romantic frustration. Johnson's singing and (frighteningly masterful) guitar playing sounds so languid at first, before becoming increasingly desperate -- almost like the air on a really, really hot day.
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home