Monday, February 11, 2013

"And the Rodneys are queuing up, God forbid"

Oh gosh, there were long stretches of time in COLLEGE when all I would listen to was THE STRANGLERS.
I thought about that while driving home for lunch, as the band's classic 1979 single "DUCHESS" blared from the car stereo speakers.
The Stranglers were lumped in with punk, although their sound -- punctuated by Jean-Jacques Burnel's melodic bass and Dave Greenfield's prominent keyboards -- never really fit the D.I.Y. template.
I mean, seriously, what punk band features keyboard solos?
I couldn't care less about a label. I cared that The Stranglers always sounded so cool. I loved listening to their songs.
"Duchess" was no exception, and hearing it today warmed my heart in the way reserved for the music we love the best.