Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Grandmaster Flash helps me prep for World Series

Joseph Saddler and Melvin Glover are helping me prepare for tonight's first game of the WORLD SERIES between my SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS and the DETROIT TIGERS.
What?
Well, those are some "old school" baseball teams with never-changing cap logos, so I thought I'd listen to some "old-school" rap to prepare myself.
Who?
Saddler is better known as the pioneering hip-hop DJ GRANDMASTER FLASH and Glover is better known as MELLE MEL, the principal rapper among the FURIOUS FIVE.
Their creations such as "The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel," "The Message," "New York, New York" and "Scorpio" helped set the template for modern hip hop, provided a treasure trove of future samples and convinced record-company executives that rap music could be a viable commercial offering.
Why?
The songs also sound good thumping out of my car speakers on an unusually warm autumn day -- as I begin to nervously anticipate a World Series appearance by my favorite team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home