Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sportsmaggedon has arrived



It's a night of sports so big I gave it a stupid nickname.
SPORTSMAGGEDON is the name I have applied to tonight, Oct. 18, 2012, when ALL THREE OF MY FAVORITE SPORTS TEAMS appear on television at essentially the same time. ("Carmaggedon" is what they call a major freeway closing with traffic gridlock in Southern California. Tonight is like that, only with sports).
It's a rare occurrence, unprecedented as far as I can recall for my teams.
Here is a look at Sportsmaggedon (all times Central):
7 p.m. -- The SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS play the St. Louis Cardinals in baseball's National League Championship Series.
7:20 p.m. -- The SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS play the Seattle Seahawks in a National Football League game.
8 p.m. -- MY BELOVED OREGON DUCKS play the Arizona State Sun Devils in college football.
I don't have enough TVs!
So what will I do? Here is my plan: I will listen to the Giants on the radio. I prefer the Giants' announcers anyway.
With the sound muted on the TV, I will then flip back and forth between the two football games.
It's not a perfect plan, but faced with the unprecedented challenge of Sportsmaggedon, it's probably the best that I could do*.

*Besides going to a bar with multiple TVs.