Sunday, September 02, 2012

Having a feeling for all of music's possibilities

I'm waking up with MEUSLI and JAZZ after staying up late last night to watch MY BELOVED OREGON DUCKS on television.
The Ducks beat visiting ARKANSAS STATE, 57-34, in what resembled a glorified exhibition gam: Oregon's top starters were finished for the night before the end of the second quarter.
This morning, I am enjoying more JOE HENDERSON (1937-2001), the tenor saxophone player who contributed greatly to some of the finest jazz albums of the 1960s.
I love the versatility of his playing.
"I would never want to play in only one bag," Henderson said in the liner notes to his 1965 album "Inner Urge." "When you do, eventually you get bored. And if you get bored, the listener will. And basically, it doesn't make sense to play all funk or all hip. Music covers a much wider range than just one approach. I like to think of myself as having a feeling for all of music's possibilities."
That's a great approach to listening, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home