Friday, August 24, 2012

First day of school memories revisited

SCHOOL resumed this week after the summer break.
ROUTE 1 readers celebrated the occasion by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What do you remember about the first day of school when you were a kid?"
ANNIKA H. -- Getting my picture taken.
MIKE D. -- Riding a bus for the first time! Kindergarten was the only year that I did. I always wanted to sit in the seat where the raised wheel well was located. My cousin, who got on the bus with me, always followed my lead but wanted to sit in the front row. The one day that I was absent with a sore neck, he got his wish.
RICK T. -- Wearing nice clothes.
JOHN S. -- I remember the smells of new school supplies.
JIM S. -- The anticipation and excitement. The smell of a new school shirt and the snug feel of new Hush Puppies. The laughter outside before the school doors opened. And, finally, seeing what the new teacher looked like and discovering which friends were in your class. (I loved school, if you can't tell.)
SANDYE V. -- They were stringing colorful wooden beads and I thought oh boy and I sat down and started stringing. I never waved good-bye to my mother who reminded me of it for the rest of her life!
ERIK H. -- My sister and I were always dressed well. Better than the rest of the school year in my case!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home