Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Rubberbandits keep me in stitches

Wildly subversive and shockingly funny, if THE RUBBERBANDITS were more effectively exported by IRELAND'S government, I am sure the Republic's debt problems would vanish in a flash.
BLINDBOY BOAT CLUB (Dave Chambers) and MR. CHROME (Bob McGlynn) formed the comedy duo The Rubberbandits in their native Limerick in the early 2000s.
They met with mounting success and eventually landed a spot on the RTÉ TWO comedy show "REPUBLIC OF TELLY," where their music videos and clips satirized youth life in Ireland -- episodes of living leprechaun-hunting tourists fail to see.
The duo released their latest single, "BLACK MAN," on Friday, Nov. 11.
The accompanying video (see it here) is a dance number in which the lads lament that they have varied representation in their gang -- including "both types of Indian" -- but lack a black man to help legitimize the crew.
It provided me with much-needed laughter yesterday, a day I accompanied my father-in-law to CEDAR RAPIDS for a pre-operation procedure. In fact, the video left me in stitches.