Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Music for a long week -- and it's only Tuesday

It's been a long week and it's only Tuesday.
Yesterday, I accompanied my father-in-law for a surgical consultation -- he has artery bypass surgery in his leg next week.
This morning, I took JILL to work -- her first day back in the office since she broke her right foot last week. It was a struggle for her to reach the front door of her building. I hope the day goes easier for her. We meet with an orthopaedic surgeon Thursday morning to determine the next course of action in her treatment. I hope she heals soon.
I work a later shift tonight -- I am helping to cover a local election -- so I am sipping coffee and listening to a pianist whose career was cut painfully short by drugs and poor health.
SONNY CLARK was a Pittsburgh-area native who relocated to the BAY AREA in the 1950s.
He eventually moved back east, to New York City, where he recorded as both a sideman and leader for iconic BLUE NOTE RECORDS before succumbing to a heart attack -- probably exacerbated by the ravages of drug abuse -- at the age of 31.
Clark played with Grant Green, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Dexter Gordon and more jazz luminaries.
Today, I am listening to the Uptown Records release "SONNY CLARK, OAKLAND 1955."
It chronicles Clark's trio performances of the mid-50s, before he moved back east. Bassist Jerry Good and drummer Al Randall joined Clark for this recording, made at the MOCAMBO CLUB in my birthplace, OAKLAND, CALIF.
Critic Michael G. Nastos describes Clark's sound here as "freewheeling," and it is enjoyable hearing the trio cook up a great groove.
It helps me, too, during a long week that has only reached the Tuesday mark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home