Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Jesus and Mary Chain kind of day

After a long week spent at work or in doctor's offices, the last thing I wanted was a busy SATURDAY morning of errands and chores.
I had no choice, however, so I worked fairly steadily from 8 a.m. to noon.
I decided the beautiful noise -- or is it noisy beauty? -- of "PSYCHOCANDY" by THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN would be the appropriate musical accompaniment.
Since its release during my college days, "Psychocandy" remains a brilliant album I can always revisit. No matter how many times I listen, "Psychocandy" always seems both fresh and dangerous -- just like true rock 'n' roll should sound.
MOJO MAGAZINE once described the album as "like no other debut LP. Describing themselves as 'eighties beatniks with an image that is shoddy but stylish,' the Mary Chain made an exhilarating, intoxicating Wall of Sound. Beneath that chaotic Velvet Underground-style white noise hid dark but beautifully crafted melodies worthy of Phil Spector."
The critics always shower "Psychocandy" with five-star reviews. I accord it my own version of a top ranking: I always keep it close at hand for days like today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home