Saturday, November 19, 2011

Refilling my Spinal Tap prescription

Laughter really is the best medicine (sorry doctors) and it worked like a charm for me last night, the culmination of a stressful, lengthy week.
"THIS IS SPINAL TAP" is one of the most effective prescriptions, as I continue to work this analogy. It never fails to elicit -- not just chuckles -- real, deep LAUGHTER, the coming-from-the-diaphragm stuff that can't help but unleash the endorphins.
This laughter is triggered by lines such as:
"It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy that I'm doing in D... minor, which I always find is really the saddest of all keys, really, I don't know why. It makes people weep instantly to play."
As well as:
"What day did the lord create Spinal Tap, and couldn't he have rested on that day?"
These moments of hilarity occur with remarkable consistency throughout the film.
"The Boston gig has been cancelled...I wouldn't worry about it, though. It's not a big college town."
They spark laughing fits that seem to flush the stress of the day completely out of my system.
Spinal Tap manager Ian Faith at one point says:

"Certainly in the topsy, turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is quite often...useful."
I feel somewhat the same way about "This is Spinal Tap." In this hectic world of ours, it's just a great movie to have around.