Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Taking my eyewear cue from a jazzy source

If I need to wear GLASSES, I might as well make them stylish enough to fit my personality.
That was my thinking when picking out frames for my prescription "work glasses," tailored to allow close focus while reading and to allow me to see what I am posting to ROUTE 1.
Since their Friday arrival, my glasses have become a source of annoyance to me -- I feel like I am wearing safety goggles -- and a source of speculation for my friends.
"Is he trying to look like Elvis Costello?"
Not really. The musical inspiration for my choice of frames -- BANANA REPUBLIC CHANNING 086 (TORTOISE SHELL) -- goes back farther than "OLIVER'S ARMY."
I was really aiming for BILL EVANS on the cover of the jazz pianist's 1959 album "PORTRAIT IN JAZZ."
It was recorded eight months after Evans teamed with MILES DAVIS on the landmark "KIND OF BLUE," and "Portrait in Jazz" continues in the modal vein Evans explored with the trumpeter. There are even a couple versions of "BLUE IN GREEN."
I was never going to choose those rectangular, minimalist frames that seem de rigueur these days.
Nope. My furrow has always been my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home