Monday, October 03, 2011

Renewing an old cassette acquaintance

As introductions to jazz go, you can't go wrong with "STAN GETZ AND THE OSCAR PETERSON TRIO."
I know, because my late DAD gave me this Japanese-reissue cassette of the album when I was in college, and I nearly wore it out listening.
Getz was the legendary tenor saxophone player who gained his greatest fame playing Brazilian-influenced music in the 1960s.
Peterson was the Canadian pianist who was revered, winning seven Grammy Awards and releasing more than 200 recordings.
Peterson led a drummer-less trio, with guitarist Herb Ellis and bassist Ray Brown.
Getz and Peterson paired on this album in 1957.
Critic Michael G. Nastos describes the musical interaction between the players "approaches telepathic or magical."
I downloaded the album on iTunes the other day, and I plan on renewing my acquaintance with it as I drive today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home