Friday, September 23, 2011

What makes *YOU* feel old?

Just in time for the FRIDAY QUESTION, ROUTE 1 has an eye doctor appointment today -- for reading glasses.
This makes us feel O-L-D.
"What makes you feel old?"
RICK T. -- Waking up in the morning and feeling your bones crack and pop. Seeing your friends you grew up with looking so old and remembering that you're their age.
MIKE D. -- Realizing that I'm old enough to be the parent of many of my co-workers. And the fact that my beard grows out gray even though the rest of my hair is relatively dark.
BEKAH P. -- My nephew telling me that I was too old to know about Star Wars. After all, he said, old people don't watch cartoons.
MARY N.-P. -- What'd ya say Sonny - Can't hear ya... Seriously, what make me feel ancient are all of the daily reminders that this body (and mind at times) is a mere shadow of the vibrant, young, take-on-the-world self that it once was and it's getting older, sorer and slower every day (God, I just talked myself into a major depression!).
ROSEANNE H. -- Having a son that needs reading glasses.
BRIAN M. -- Two things stick out: 1. Having peers that are grandparents, and 2. seeing a whole wall of new musical acts that not only are foreign to me but don't interest me in the slightest.
KERSTIN H. -- My back.
JOHN S. -- Interns that have a birthdate later than my high school graduation.
BRIAN C. -- Knowing that Paul McCartney is 69 years old. Remembering when I had a choice of five TV channels: ABC, CBS, NBC, WGN and public TV. Remembering when cars did not come with seat belts as standard equipment.
KERI M. -- Having students in my class whose parents I taught.
SANDYE V. -- Aches and pains -- joints that crackle like gravel.
ERIK H. -- Besides the reading glasses, my seemingly inverse appreciation of jazz music makes me feel old. When I was younger, the only jazz I found palatable featured a mainstream sound and relatively safe improvisations. As I age, I become more attracted to jazz that introduced elements of the avant-garde -- music I once shunned for seeming "unlistenable." My favorite song I've heard this week is "Gazzelloni" by the relatively experimental Eric Dolphy (1928-1964). His flute playing is so sweetly extraordinary, it sounds like some hipster songbird was invited into a studio to record a jazz album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home