Monday, June 06, 2011

Martin Rushent: AnAppreciation

The highest accolade I can pay to music producer MARTIN RUSHENT, who died age 63 this past weekend, is to admit how many of his songs are indelibly lodged in my consciousness.
One minute, I am humming "No More Heroes" by THE STRANGLERS, the next I am bopping my head along to "Mirror Man" by THE HUMAN LEAGUE.
I can sing "Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)" by the BUZZCOCKS at the drop of a hat and "Head Over Heels" by the GO-GO'S is never far from the rotation of the songs playing in my head.
I've sung "Working Girl" by THE MEMBERS in the shower and "Happy Birthday" by ALTERED IMAGES while rocking a baby to sleep.
In truth, Rushent's songs influenced a whole swath of us music fanatics in the 1980s. "Destination Venus" by the REZILLOS. Now there's a great Rushent song.
What a brilliant producer. What utterly classic songs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home