Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Power, Corruption & Lies" revisited

I remember one night on the college dorm floor my freshman year that now seems like a meeting of the alternative music minds.
A kid down the hall was enraptured, playing the NEW ORDER album "POWER, CORRUPTION & LIES" repeatedly.

He had never heard New Order's predecessors, JOY DIVISION, so that's how I fit into the scene. I was the dorm floor's Joy Division adherent.

We spent the next several hours playing albums by both bands.

I remembered that moment this week, as I felt nostalgic and listened to "Power, Corruption & Lies" on an especially gloomy day.

At the time, I remember thinking that although New Order included three-fourths of Joy Division, "Power, Corruption & Lies" sounded nothing like the Joy Division albums "Unknown Pleasures" and "Closer."

Now, after decades spent hearing these Manchester masterpieces, I can better understand how the Joy Division work pointed toward the future, pointing toward the slick-sounding dance tracks on "Power."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home