Sunday, February 13, 2011

The 10cc Hangover Cure

I'm beginning to feel better, finally, at 3:16 p.m.
A little too much JAMESON IRISH WHISKEY at last night's U.W.-PLATTEVILLE baseball banquet knocked me into a regrettable HANGOVER, but I'm beginning to feel better.

My cure?

A little 10CC.

Oh, I'm sure the sleep, Sierra Mist and that little bit of toast with honey on it helped, but I have only begun feeling like myself again after watching some videos of 10cc television appearances in the 1970s.

Technically brilliant, armed with catchy melodies and often hilarious lyrics, 10cc were perhaps a little too smart for mainstream American success.

The band chalked up a trio of No. 1 singles in Britain -- "Rubber Bullets," "I'm Not in Love" and "Dreadlock Holiday."

I adore the song "Rubber Bullets." I tried to describe it to someone yesterday and only managed to say "it sounds like 'Jailhouse Rock' written by Weird Al Yankovic and sung by the Beach Boys," but that doesn't really do justice to 10cc.

Graham Gouldman, Eric Stewart, Lol Creme and Kevin Godley were outstanding musicians and songwriters. So accomplished, in fact, that when Creme and Godley departed in 1976, Stewart and Gouldman continued to create such perfectly realized classics as "The Things We Do For Love."

Yeah, this 10cc hangover cure works so well, I might start marketing it. No more first-person testing, though, I'm not going to touch another drop of that whiskey for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home