Friday, February 04, 2011

Childhood memories in song

Life seemed a lot simpler when we were children. For example, we didn't have to dig our cars out of snowdrifts by ourselves back in our childhood. Of course, that's because we never had snow drifts, what with living in a temperate region of California.
Yep... life was so much simpler.

ROUTE 1 readers reach back into those simpler days by answering this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:

"Hearing what song always takes you back to your childhood?"

KERI M. -- Oh wow, where to start...

RICK T. -- A Porter Wagoner song called "Today I Burned Your Old Love Letters." My mom would walk around the house singing that song all the time. My mom is why I'm singing in a band today.

STEVE M. -- "Happy Together" by the Turtles.

JIM S. -- Too many to name, but here are three: "Playground in My Mind," by Clint Holmes ('My name is Michael, I got a nickel ...'), "I Woke Up in Love This Morning," the Partridge Family and "Maggie May," Rod Stewart.

SANDYE V. -- "The Tennessee Waltz." It was on radio all the time in the early 1950s and I remember being very concerned about "the old friend" in the storyline.

MIKE D. -- "Billy, Don't Be A Hero" and "Band on the Run" always take me back to the summer of 1974 because my oldest sister had recorded them on a cassette tape and played them constantly.

LISA Y. -- "Afternoon Delight." I remember us belting that our while my mom drove her little orange VW around town, me in the front set, no seatbelt, sittin' on my knees. Good thing I didn't know what it meant -- and that we never got in an accident!!

ERIK H. -- It came out when I was 12 and has been on the radio ever since. Still, whenever hear that saxophone riff by Raphael Ravenscroft that heralds the start of the late Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street," I always think back to my youth in Concord, Calif., and listening to the hit songs on the radio station KFRC.

1 Comments:

Blogger Swen said...

Gerry Rafferty of Stealers Wheel. Does anyone know how I can find their song "Everyone's Agreed That Everything Will Turn Out Right"? It's not on iTunes. I like it as much as "Stuck in the Middle" and "Star."

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home