Saturday, December 04, 2010

Snowbound with a favorite disc

If it seemed like it was never going to quit SNOWING this morning that's because -- well -- it never really did quit snowing.
About 8 inches later, DUBUQUE is thoroughly blanketed and with single-digit and sub-zero lows on the horizon, this snow isn't going away any time soon.

I sought comfort in music this morning, playing "EMPIRES AND DANCE" while cleaning the kitchen and preparing a big pot of CHILI.

The third studio album by Scottish band SIMPLE MINDS released in 1980, I purchased the long-player of "Empires and Dance" while I was in high school. It remains one of my favorites.

A left-field European dance record, "Empires and Dance" sounds a million miles away from the "Don't You (Forget About Me)"-era Simple Minds sound.

The music critic Andy Kellman compared "Empires and Dance" to "a Giorgio Moroder production for Roxy Music," and he's not far off.

I swayed to the electronic rhythms of "I Travel," "Celebrate" and "Thirty Frames a Second" while keeping myself busy in the kitchen this morning -- and keeping my mind off the tightening grip of winter outside my window.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home