Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday Question? Goo-dawn-yer-mite!

I think the dog is trying to help me prepare for the time difference between DUBUQUE and SYDNEY -- she just woke me up at 4:15 a.m.
That's thoughtful. There's only one problem: I go to AUSTRALIA *next* weekend, not *this* weekend.

No worries. That just means we get to this week's FRIDAY QUESTION shot through like a Bondi Tram.

"What do you think when you hear 'Australia?'"

RICK T. -- Kangaroos.

JOHN S. -- Beaches and the Outback.

SANDYE V. -- I think "Kangaroos!" And then I think of Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburnt Country," which is especially hysterical if you listen to the author read it on tape/CD.

BEKAH P. -- I think beer and Ayers rock... I don't even drink beer, but somehow the two of those seem like an ideal pairing.

INGER H. -- Pretty much just a sea of fuzzy weird looking animals: koalas, kangaroos, wallabies. I bought a book on Aussie wildlife to at least get a handle on what some of the birds are, and the funniest thing is that pretty much 90 percent of the descriptions for the mammals in the book begins with, "A (small, large, medium-sized) rodent-like animal, with..." The description for Koalas was, "If you see a teddy bear in a tree, then you are likely looking at a koala".

ELLEN B. -- Kangaroos and a cool accent.

KERI M. -- My sister. She went there for six months a couple of years ago. And Crocodile Dundee, of course.

KERSTIN H. -- Dirt. Red dirt and snakes and that guy that died 'cause he was stung by a sting ray.

SASKIA M. -- The following keywords pop into my head: koala,kangaroo, sun, desert, beach, Aborigines, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Heath Ledger,Sam Worthington, Mel Gibson, Simon Baker, Natalie Imbruglia, Missy Higgins, Sia Furler, Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney Opera House, The movie "Australia"

JIM S. -- It sounds like a great place to visit, but one that I unfortunately may never see because there are so many other, closer places in this world that I'll likely end up investing time and money into visiting.

LISA Y. -- "He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich," from the 80's song by Men at Work, kangaroos, fairy bread (try it, it's yummy), coral reef and Ayer's rock, didgeridoos....Wish I was going, too! Have fun!

ERIK H. -- A place where Santa comes in the summertime, some of the mammals lay eggs like a lizard and the conservatives are called "Liberal."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home