Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Spending my anniversary with Cal, Henry, Rose, Fred and Don

JULY 7 1990 - JULY 7 2010
20 YEARS, BABY, 20 YEARS
Spare a thought this week for JILL HOGSTROM.
For 20 years I have been bugging her by beginning conversations like this:
"Listen to this song, it's absolutely fabulous. It's called 'I'VE GOT FOUR BIG BROTHERS' by THE MADDOX BROS. AND ROSE. They were originally from the South but moved to MODESTO, CALIF., in the 1930s and got their start on radio stations in the Central Valley. Their songs just make me smile."
I am spending another day during this vacation listening to some old country songs, as I prepare a massive HONKY TONK playlist for my iPod.
My biggest challenge is trimming the number of songs. The Maddox Bros. and Rose make my task much more difficult: I adore so many of their self-styled "hillbilly boogie" classics.
I could listen to this music all day, except I need to switch on the television in time for today's WORLD CUP SEMIFINAL.
Spare a thought for Jill: She married a goofball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home