Saturday, April 24, 2010

No, Shrimpers, *you're* the ones going down

The taunts of the SOUTHEND UNITED supporters are still ringing in my ears.
"THAT'S WHY YOU'RE GOING DOWN! THAT'S WHY YOU'RE GOING DOWN!"

Visiting Southend had just scored the second goal in a 2-1 victory over LEYTON ORIENT at Brisbane Road and my sister INGER and I were sitting in the stands, suffering with the other Orient fans.

Orient's position in the LEAGUE ONE table is marginally better than that day in late December (at least their relegation fears have eased).

In an example of the karmic properties of football, Southend's position is much worse.

Visiting Southend's 2-2 draw at OLDHAM today doomed the Shrimpers to relegation to LEAGUE TWO.

I couldn't help myself: Sitting in my living room watching soccer on TV and following the remainder of today's matches on the computer, I started singing the taunting song the Shrimper supporters had sang to me.

No, Shrimpers, that's why *you're* going down. Southend has won only once in the past 20 games -- a 3-0 victory over Walsall. The Shrimpers' victory before that win was back on Dec. 28 -- yep, the match Inger and I attended at Brisbane Road.
"That's why you're going down, that's why you're going down!"

I know it's childish to taunt like that (especially thousands of miles away from the scene), but it felt good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home